Moving your family to a new home is an exciting time. Whether you’re relocating due to a new career, to be closer to family, or simply for change of pace, it’s important to know what options are available when selecting movers. Unless you plan to pack and transport your belongings on your own, you’ll need to hire a moving broker or a moving company.
What Services Do Moving Brokers Provide?
As the name implies, moving brokers act as mediators between you and moving companies to “sell” your relocation. They don’t own their own moving equipment or trucks—and they do not have a staff of professional movers. Instead, moving brokers allow moving companies to bid your move based solely on a project estimate that is conducted by phone or online. They then charge a fee for their services once a bid is accepted.
While there are risks involved with using a broker, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires that moving brokers adhere to the following in order to protect consumers:
· Be registered with the FMCSA.
· Provide you with the FMCSA Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move booklet, and a Ready to Movebrochure.
· Provide you with a list of the moving companies they contract with
· Only use movers that are registered with FMCSA.
· Have a written agreement with the moving company.
· Base binding or non-binding moving estimates on the tariff of the mover that will transport your belongings.
· Reference their physical business location, motor carrier number, and their status as a broker who arranges services but does not transport household goods in their advertisements.
· Require the moving company this is transporting your shipment to conduct a physical survey of your household belongings if the moving company or its agent’s location is with a 50-mile radius of your home, whichever is closer. You have the right to waive this requirement.
If you prefer a more
personalized moving experience, you might be more satisfied by choosing a
moving company rather than a broker. At Central Transportation Systems, our family-owned,
BBB-accredited moving company has been providing residential moving services for over 90 years, and we’ve
earned the reputation as one of the most trusted moving companies in central
Texas. Call us today to learn more about our moving and storage solutions, or fill out our simple online form right
now to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.